Sunday, January 18, 2015

Note of the day

Interesting to watch some of the low revenue ACC schools while the P5 pushes for more athlete benefits.

Again, I take what I read with a grain of salt, but I watch the ACC closely with this AND it's resistance to football first reality of college athletics in the power 5 (for example, yesterday's FSU/NC State basketball game had 3-5 FSU support staff in suits, NC State?  15!  I wouldn't be shocked if they invest more in basketball than football, like much of the ACC).

The ACC, like the old Big East, has many schools that have it all backwards and will struggle with change.....or the ACC will go under.


Gregg Doyel@GreggDoyelStar 14 hours ago
In 79-1 vote, only Power 5 school against the expanded scholarship was Boston College, source tells me. BC can't afford $$ for all sports.



Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 17 hours ago
My gut feeling was that Wake voted against. Real possibility Wake considers leaving ACC. I'm told ACC would not replace.


Eric PrisbellVerified account @EricPrisbell 17 hours ago

2 comments:

  1. If a couple of ACC schools decide to drop down to a lower level rather than pay out more money to stay in the P5, that would not be a bad thing necessarily. A 12-team league (without, for the sake of argument, Wake and BC) would be stronger than ever - and maybe it would FINALLY force the ACC to fix the divisions if 2 from the Atlantic left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I like Wake, for example, but the ACC is strengthened if they dropped out (already have state of NC covered, and then some, and no major revenue from them....just another piece of the pie).

    ReplyDelete