Friday, July 25, 2014

What a funny dance this FSU search has become



What a funny dance this FSU search has become


"It's rare when you actually get to see the proverbial elephant in the room live and in person, even if not visible to the naked eye. It's even rarer when you see the elephant dance.
But from the moment we asked Florida State University interim President Garnett Stokes if she'd like the top job, say, permanently. I could have sworn I saw the elephant walk in.
You see, I suspect that Stokes – whose Twitter handle is @ProvostStokes – also likes her regular job as provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, the university's chief academic officer, and a post she has held since 2011.
Furthermore, it seems to me, that Stokes is exactly the type of candidate with exactly the academic and management chops that many faculty, students and alumni would like to see take over for Eric Barron, now at the helm at Penn State University, on a longer term basis. That is, someone who has the background to lead FSU to higher academic standards, a top 25 national ranking, and so on.
I don't want you to misunderstand. Stokes answered our question professionally and as forthrightly as could be expected, under the circumstances, given the uninvited pachyderm.
She talked about the need to stay focused on the job at hand, keeping the academic momentum going in the right direction. She talked about what an exciting time it is right now at Florida State. She talked about making sure the university was prepared for its capital campaign. She talked about her commitment to helping FSU become a top 25 academic institution.

Interim FSU President Stokes shares a laugh with football legend Bobby Bowden before presenting him with an honorary doctorate earlier this year. Asked about the role of athletics during her interview with the editorial board, Stokes talked about the athlete as a student, but also gave us a sincere "Go Noles!" (Photo: Mike Ewen/Tallahassee Democrat)
She talked about everything but herself and her interest in the job for nearly a full minute before getting to the question, well, more or less.
Next she talked about how much she has enjoyed being interim president, what a wonderful opportunity it has been. Somewhere about 90 seconds into answering the question, she further equivocated, saying she will give it serious thought as the Sept. 2 deadline for applying approaches.
Here is a link to her answer to the question: http://www.tallahassee.com/videos/news/local/fsu-news/2014/07/22/13010635/
As I sat there watching this consummate academic professional dance with the elephant, it occurred to me that outside our editorial board meeting room, other potential candidates were doing the same dance. Only without a video camera and note-jotting journalists in a semi-circle watching.
So I decided to state what I thought was the obvious and ask – ever so politely – if she would clarify (read: really answer our question).
I think she came closer to answering the question this time. I'll give you the highlights, but feel free to watch it first and come back:
 
"I'm going to focus on what I am doing right now and consider whether it is in my best interest and the university's best interest to be a candidate," she replied. "And I'm really not thinking about that yet."
But what she said next fascinated me.
"Especially with the noise surrounding the presidential search, it seems important to me that we let that process take place and I keep my focus on getting ready for the capital campaign, and really make sure we allocate our preeminence dollars toward our top 25 proposal."
The noise? No doubt the elephant had to fidget at that.
"I do enjoy the leadership role at FSU. I'll just see how things going over the next few weeks."
I think she was satisfied that she had explained her position well. And she had. The problem was me. I decided to name the elephant and explain why I asked the question. I suggested that she is the exact type of candidate some are saying won't step up because, - drum roll, please - Sen. John Thrasher was a candidate.
And really for the first time, I thought I saw interim President Stokes squirm just a bit. But only for a second, if that.
"What I would say is any search in a sunshine state like Florida is going to reveal its finest candidates at the very end," she replied. "Whether or not there is someone already in the picture that's made an announcement.
Then she she smiled. And we moved on.
This time, I saw the elephant squirm"

No comments:

Post a Comment