Sunday, March 5, 2017

Ranking the best basketball arenas in the ACC



http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article136629033.html

-Ranking the best arenas in the ACC.
I’m one of the few ACC scribes who’s fortunate enough (if that’s the right way to put it) to have witnessed a game in every ACC arena – including some no-longer ACC men’s basketball arenas, namely Cole Field House and Reynolds Coliseum.
Every year I tell myself I’m going to spend a weekly column ranking the ACC’s homecourts and … it never happens. This has been years running now. So here’s an abridged version. My favorite gyms in the ACC, according to my own secret formula (which includes things like personal nostalgia and good sightlines):
1. Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium;
2. Virginia’s John Paul Jones Arena;
3. Louisville’s (very ridiculously named) KFC Yum! Center;
4. UNC’s Smith Center (home of too many late nights for me);
5. N.C. State’s PNC Arena (at least media is still on the court).
6. Notre Dame’s Joyce Center;
7. Georgia Tech’s McCamish Pavilion (mainly for its Thriller Dome roots);
8. Pittsburgh’s Petersen Events Center;
9. Wake Forest’s Lawrence Joel Coliseum;
10. Syracuse’s Carrier Dome (impressive in scope but just sort of dumpy, cold and industrial-feeling).
11. Virginia Tech’s Cassell Coliseum (sort of charming, actually);
12. Miami’s Watsco Center (blah);
13. Clemson’s Littlejohn Coliseum;
14. Florida State’s Donald L. Tucker Center (thought it was haunted during my years covering Florida State);
15. Boston College’s Conte Forum (not a bad place for hockey).

1 comment: