Thursday, January 12, 2017

FSU Recruiting Data since 2002



http://florida.247sports.com/Board/14/Contents/Brief-Look-at-In-State-Recruiting-since-2002-50501611

"Thus I decided to analyze how in-state recruiting of the Top 50 players has gone since 2002(credible 247 data only goes back this far), and see if not only this holds true but also to gage where we are in comparison to our averages. In my opinion, if UF is going to compete for national championships, it will only start if they start landing more of the top in-state talent. In the graphs and tables, you’ll see 2017 listed. These numbers would be based on current recruits and expected finish AS OF TODAY(10 Parks to Bama. 12 Slaton, 18 Robinson, 25 Henderson, 36 Herbert, and 43 Lemon to UF)
  • Before I get into the numbers, I feel like I should state what my personal recruiting bias were prior to compiling the data. Also overall, I’d say I’m generally pretty on the fence about our program direction, and not really high or low.
    1) Zook’s recruiting won UF the 2006 national championship.
    2) Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio St are stealing too much in state talent.
    3) IMG makes it seem like more talent is leaving the state than what is normal.
    4) Summers and Nord can’t recruit.
    5) Dixon, Rumph, and Gray are studs on the trail
    6) Randy can do whatever he wants at this point. There is no logic here.
    7) Skipper is ok, but he seems to be on more out of state prospects.
    8) Mac is only doing slightly below average, but things aren’t as bad as they seem.
    9) Only 2 of the big three can dominate at one time.
    10) Extenuating circumstances in Macs first year lead to his problems on the trail.
    I’ll answer what conclusions I have been able to draw from these at the end.
    Below is breakdown of how the top 50 players in FL rated based on stars. Basically gives a good indication of how good the state was for recruiting that year. Interesting to note that the 2 best years in state by a good margin were 2 of the years we made a coaching change (2011 and 2015).

    Below is a breakdown of where the top in state talent decided to go to school(only major players included). UF owned the top talent in-state(Top 10 & Top 25) from 2003(Zook’s 2nd year) to 2014(UF 4-8 and FSU NC). Additionally no other program outside of the big 3 has taken a good portion of the top 50 in-state players other than 2015 Auburn. Also if Clemson, Bama, LSU, or Ohio St are coming in to poach players, they are only trying to nab the big fish.




    Below is a breakdown of which positions the top talent in state play. As you can see Mac’s bump year had the worst OL class for top talent in state in recorded history (; Additionally DL and WR were loaded.

    Below is a breakdown of where the top instate talent comes from. No surprise here, but most is from south Florida.
    Legend for Locations
    • SFL- South Florida(East Coast, Indian River County South)
    • Orl- Orlando(Central Florida east of Lakeland, up to turnpike/I-75, and the east coast only including Brevard and Volusia)
    • Tampa- Tampa(Sarasota north, Lakeland, and Spring Hill South)
    • Jax- Jacksonville(Treasure coast down to Volusia)
    • NFL- North Florida(everything from Lake City West)
    • SW- South West Florida (West coast south of Sarasota)
    • NCFL- North Central Florida (I-75 from the turnpike to Lake City. i.e. Gainesville, Ocala)
    • IMG- Kids attending IMG Academy



    My conclusions from initial thoughts:
    1) Zook definitely took the state back from Miami and FSU, but Meyer was on another level. I’m doing another analyses that will show this later
    2) UF needs to get more instate talent to stay in state, but our big out-of-state competition is only targeting the high 4 and 5 stars. They don’t really seem to effect the low 4 stars in state which used to be our floor.
    3) IMG is becoming a big chunk of the top talent in state, but it doesn’t seem that any one school grabs more IMG kids than anyone else. So it’s relatively statically neutral.
    4) I won’t continue the Nord bash fest, but I do not like him. If Summers was new to the staff, I could understand how we underperformed at OL recruiting last year. However, he wasn’t and 2014 and 2015 were good years.
    5) We’ll see how Gray finishes. I think the jury is still out of Dixon too, because we could would have hit a solid WR class regardless IMO(It’s well documented though how much I like Swain and Cleveland though). Rumph is a liability, IMO. I definitely like Clayton, Smith, and Polite, but it is inexcusable that we didn’t land a DT last year. Rumph definitely can coach, but he is not the stud on the trail I once thought.
    6) No explanation here. Randy has earned the do what ever the f*ck I want, and get away with it card.
    7) This is just my opinion, and I added him to include all the assistants.
    8) I can understand Mac’s 1st year, but last year was much much worse than I thought. However, if Mac closes with who we are projected to get I’d say my initial opinion would hold and he has done slightly below average for UF’s in-state recruiting history. It is concerning that lack of Top 10 talent that Mac is letting leave the state though.
    9) I still thinks this holds true. I really don’t think there is enough for all 3 to hold their own with how many other hands there are in the cookie jar. Bama, Ohio St, and Clemson’s recent success in-state though is definitely retarding both UF and Miami.
    10) Looking back, it was interesting how much the whole situation of Muschamp taking a DC job at another school that normally recruits Florida well. As well as Durkin going to Mich and then poaching some of the low hanging fruit. Callahan is on Mac, but that seems to be fixed. I won’t belabor this anymore though, as competition only got tougher this year, and it’s time to put up or shut up for this staff."
     

No comments:

Post a Comment