Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Warrick Dunn charity work


https://www.postguam.com/sports/nation/bucs-dunn-donates-new-home/article_25c10d08-effb-11e9-8178-73c2725e2275.html

This marks the sixth home presentation in Pinellas County and the 173rd home presentation nationwide thanks to Warrick Dunn Charities as part of its “Home for the Holidays” initiative, which helps single-parent families achieve homeownership.

His family never got to see that joy after his mother was killed just days before Dunn’s 18th birthday. Instead, he became the father figure and raised his younger siblings while pursuing a football career at Florida State University and then moving on to play in the NFL for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1997.
“Once I started going to counseling I realized that I was on cruise control and just going through it that I didn’t have time to mourn,” Dunn said.
“I just had to put my head down and get it done. I was just so focused on making sure that I could take care of my brothers and sisters, so that was my driving force.”
But now, he gets that joy through his charity and every family that benefits from his program.
“I’ve used this program as therapy,” Dunn said. “Every time I hand over those keys there’s a little piece of my mom and the things she wanted.”
And in every home, he leaves a “piece” of his mom by giving the families a baked apple pie, which was his mother’s favorite dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment